compiling error - cannot find -lssl

Mike O'Rourke mike.orourke at op.org
Tue Feb 18 18:45:33 EST 2003

>Not so with 8.0:
>
>[root at director1 root]# cat /etc/redhat-release
>Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)
>[root at director1 root]#
>[root at director1 root]# rpm -qa|grep sasl
>cyrus-sasl-2.1.7-2
>cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.7-2
>cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.7-2
>cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.7-2

I stand corrected.

>To my knowledge the v1 RPMS aren't included with the 8.0 distro anymore.

Now, I beg to differ:
[mjoop at station025 /usr/lib]$ ls -Fd *sasl*
libkdesasl.la*
libkdesasl.so@
libkdesasl.so.1@
libkdesasl.so.1.0.0*
libsasl2.a
libsasl2.la*
libsasl2.so@
libsasl2.so.2@
libsasl2.so.2.0.7*
libsasl.a
libsasl.la*
libsasl.so@
libsasl.so.7@
libsasl.so.7.1.11*
sasl/
sasl2/

Also, as per the recent thread on this subject:
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.cyrus-sasl&msg=3302
from Ken Murchison:  "As you can see, RH8 already includes both SASL 1.5
and 2.0."

The fact remains, however, that Mark is trying to build against SASLv1:
"--with-sasl=/usr/lib/sasl"; it should be against SASLv2:
"--with-sasl=/usr/lib/sasl2"

Mike.