Another question about MUPDATE server

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 21 11:59:25 EST 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Etienne Goyer wrote:

> I would have another question concerning MUPDATE.  The white-paper on
> Cyrus imapd Murder hinted about the possibility(1) of having your MUPDATE
> server replicating.  If it is available, I would like to replicate the
> MUPDATE server for both scalability and automatic failover, somewhat
> like what is possible with OpenLDAP using slurpd.  Is this part of Cyrus
> imapd current distribution or planned for future developpement ?

The whole point of mupdate is the replication, so this is definately
present in the current code.  It won't give you any automatic failover
though since there is only one mupdate master.

There are some consistancy issues with using the slaves as authoritative
sources, however.

Presumably, work could be done to make the database more of a traditional
replicated database (akin to ubik), but we didn't have an immediate need
for that, so simplicity was prefered.

-Rob