mixed delivery to imap and non-imap mailboxes

Robert Urban urban at UNIX-Beratung.de
Sun Feb 23 12:43:55 EST 2003

Hello imappers,

apparently the standard installation of cyrus imap entails changing
themail config such that local delivery is performed exclusively to
IMAP mailboxes.

I'm trying to configure a system on which some users should have mail
delivered to IMAP mailboxes, others however to their regular unix
mailboxes.

I can imagine that others have also had to solve this problem,
particularly considering there are some accounts that require
exceptions to the usual delivery rules. In particular the "root"
account springs to mind.

Before I install procmail as my MDA and handle it that way, I wanted
to ask this community if there is a simpler way.  It would seem
reasonable for "deliver" to deliver to a unix mailbox if no such
cyrus user exists. Since I couldn't find anything about this in the
docs, I presume it doesn't behave this way.

Any comments or simpler solutions?

thanks,

Rob Urban