"seen" flag for multiple users // cyrus and procmail

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Tue Feb 25 13:55:20 EST 2003

Kristian Rink wrote:

>(a) in this network, IMAP is used because the vast majority of
>mail traffic needs to be seen not only by a single user but by a
>group of persons. For what I have experienced and also read in
>the archive of this list, it is not possible in cyrus (in IMAP?) to have
>a general "seen" flag for mails or mailboxes so this way it is
>impossible for any user who is able to read mail in the shared
>mailboxes to find out whether or not anyone else already has read
>and possibly answered new mail. Is there a way to work around
>this condition? Reading the cyrus man pages I hoped that the "s"
>ACL setting would be doing right what I need here but obviously
>it didn't work.

IMAP seen states are kept per-user, but the other flags are persistent
and visible across any users viewing the mailbox.  So, you should
definitely see that a given message has been answered, and by convention
you can use a different flag for meaning seen by the group.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931