Cyrus in shared-only setup with no user inboxes?

Scott Balmos sbalmos at adelphia.net
Wed Feb 26 13:59:05 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

I remember reading a message like this back in the 1997 archives, but
maybe (hopefully?) something's changed in the newer versions.

I'm intending to use Cyrus and shared IMAP folders as a replacement for
a currently-running private NNTP server for small-scale discussion
groups. No problem, as I know how to do the Cyrus ACLs. My question is
if it possible to run Cyrus without individual user inboxes, such that
the users exist in the ACL database, but that's it. What functionality
is lost by not giving users individual mailboxes?

Is it possible to have a single "shared" user inbox, somehow hidden from
the user, just so Cyrus is happy? Basically, I don't want to give people
mailboxes in any form. They don't need them, and shouldn't have them at
all.

I look forward to your responses. Thanks!

--
Scott Balmos