cyradm authentication error

Robert Urban urban at UNIX-Beratung.de
Thu Feb 27 07:23:15 EST 2003

Kevin Williams wrote:
> My imapd.conf file looks as follows:
>
> configdirectory: /var/imap
> partition-default: /var/spool/imap
> admins: cyrus root
> sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>
> I can successfully authenticate using the imtest command.  When I
> tried to use cyradm, I originally got a "can't locat
> Cyrus/IMAP/Shell.pm in @INC.  I moved all necessary (I think)
> folders from the folder they were installed in (/user/local/lib
> instead of /user/lib) to be included in the path.  Now when I run
> cyradm, the program just hangs and I get the following error in my
> imapd.log file:
>
> badlogin: web01[127.0.0.1] DOGEST-MD% [SASL(-13): authentication failure:
> client response doesn't match what we generated].
>
> When I enter the sasldblistuser2 command, I get the following:
> cyrus at web01: userPassword.

I had this problem too.  The answer is actually in the docs (install-auth),
but it can take days before you find it :(  The whole authentication
business is pretty badly documented, IMHO.

use

	sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop

in imapd.conf (which is the default) and both imtest and cyradm
should used sasldb2.

Rob Urban