How to create a mailbox with virtualdomains and unixhierarchysep?

Christian Schulte cs at schulte.it
Tue Dec 9 06:16:50 EST 2003

Paul Boven schrieb:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've setup a Cyrus-Imapd-2.2.2-BETA with these statements in the
> imapd.conf:
> altnamespace: yes
> virtdomains: yes
> unixhierarchysep: true
>
> However, since adding unixhierarchysep (and doing a clean reinstall,
> this is on a test server) I can no longer add user mailboxes: these all
> get shown as 'Shared Folders'.
>
> cyradm> cm user.test at bogusdomain.nl
> cyradm> lm
> user.test at bogusdomain.nl (\HasNoChildren)
>
> telnet localhost 143
> . login
> . list * *
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Shared Folders/user.test"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Shared Folders/user.test"
> . OK Completed (0.000 secs 3 calls)
>
> The directory created in my mailspool is
> /var/spool/imap/domain/bogusdomain.nl/user^test which contains
> cyrus.cache, cyrus.header and cyrus.index.
> Shouldn't the directory-name be user.test though?
>
> How does one create a new user? Am I doing something wrong here?
>
> Regards, Paul Boven.

 From doc/altnamespace.html:

UNIX Hierarchy Convention

    The UNIX hierarchy convention uses the traditional UNIX separator
    character ("/") to delimit levels of the mailbox hierarchy instead of
    the netnews character ("."). For example, if user "bovik" had a
    personal "work" mailbox, it would appear to user "bovik" as
    "INBOX/work" in the standard namespace.

    When the UNIX hierarchy convention is used, the "." character MAY be
    used in mailbox names, including user names. In order to maintain
    backwards compatibility with the internal namespace, all "."
    characters are translated to a benign character before
    any data is stored to disk. For example, if user "elmer.fudd" had a
    personal "rabbit.holes" mailbox, it would be stored as
    "user.elmer^fud.rabbit^holes" in the internal namespace. It is
    important to remember this phenomenon if/when reverting back to the
    netnews hierarchy convention.

So you'll have to create your mailboxes like:

cyradm> cm user/test at bogusdomain.nl

--
Christian