Sieve vacation question : does :addresses match case-insensitively ?

Cyrus Daboo daboo at cyrusoft.com
Mon Dec 15 11:35:44 EST 2003

Hi Etienne,

--On Monday, December 15, 2003 10:50 AM -0500 Etienne Goyer
<etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com> wrote:

| Given the following script :
|

| require "vacation";
|
| vacation :days 1 :addresses "some.email at example.com" :subject "Some
| subject"  "Just testing vacation, folks.
| ";
|

| Does the :addresses parameter will be matched case insentively, meaning
| that the vacation will also trigger for mail addressed to
| Some.Email at example.com ?

Good question - the vacation spec is not clear on that. The RFC2821 spec
actually says that the local part of an address (to the left of the @) is
case-sensitive, whilst the domain part (to the right of the @) is not. Thus
'some.email at example.com' and 'Some.Email at example.com' are not the same. Of
course it turns out that many implementations do treat those as the same,
so there does need to be a way to handle that in vacation. The SIEVE
base-spec gets around this by allowing comparisons (with either
case-sensitive or case-insensitive comparators) against the local or domain
part of an address separately if so desired. I will bring this matter up on
the sieve list as it needs to be cleared up wrt vacation.

--
Cyrus Daboo