SASL_IP(LOCAL|REMOTE)PORT broken in imapd 2.2.2beta?

Roland Rosenfeld rrosenfeld at netcologne.de
Wed Dec 17 06:07:20 EST 2003

Hi!

I installed cyrus imapd 2.2.2beta on a SPARC Solaris 9 system and
noted two auth-messages in the syslog on every pop3 and imap4 connect:

Dec 17 11:22:06 b3 pop3[14471]: [ID 702911 auth.notice] Bad IPLOCALPORT value
Dec 17 11:22:06 b3 pop3[14471]: [ID 702911 auth.notice] Bad IPREMOTEPORT value

When digging in the code, I noticed that this message comes from SASL,
but it is triggered in imap/pop3d.c:377:

    if(iptostring((struct sockaddr *)&popd_localaddr,
                  salen, localip, 60) == 0) {
        sasl_setprop(popd_saslconn, SASL_IPLOCALPORT, localip);
        saslprops.iplocalport = xstrdup(localip);
    }

I'd expect that localip would be the IP or <IP>;<Port> of the system
in the {...} part of the above statement, but when I add a
syslog(LOG_ERR,localip), I get "\377\277\352H;" in the logfile, which
is (in decimal) 255 191 234 72 and no port given.  I get this value as
localip and as remoteip, while both IPs are different and don't have
to do anything with the above decimal numbers.

Maybe I'm a little bit blind, but I don't see, what's going on here.
Does anyone know this problem or know how to solve it?  I installed
similar systems (also Solaris 9) with cyrus imapd 2.1.15 and didn't
notice these error messages on the other systems.

Except the annoying auth.notice messages (which fill our
authentication log file) I didn't see any disadvantages or problems
with this, but I'd like to get rid of the base of this problem.

Where does SASL use these IPs for?  Maybe a solution would be to
comment out the above cited code...

Tschoeeee

        Roland