global admin without defaultdomain?

Igor Brezac igor at ipass.net
Mon Dec 29 18:57:16 EST 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Kendrick Vargas wrote:

> [...]
>                    5352 Connect     cyrus at localhost on
>                    5352 Init DB     hudat_sys
>                    5352 Quit
>                    5353 Connect     cyrus at localhost on
>                    5353 Init DB     hudat_sys
>                    5353 Query       SELECT sys_shadow.password AS
> userPassword FROM sys_users, sys_shadow WHERE sys_users.username = 'cyrus'
> AND sys_users.domain = 'hudat.com' AND
> sys_shadow.sys_users_id=sys_users.sys_users_id
>                    5353 Query       SELECT sys_shadow.password AS
> cmusaslsecretPLAIN FROM sys_users, sys_shadow WHERE sys_users.username =
> 'cyrus' AND sys_users.domain = 'hudat.com' AND
> sys_shadow.sys_users_id=sys_users.sys_users_id
>                    5353 Quit
>
> I didn't notice that it did a double query before, but, whatever... I
> tried it twice, still don't work.
>
> Now, lets look at what happens when I go in through localhost from a clean
> start:
>
> toy:~# cyradm
> cyradm> auth cyrus
> authenticate: no connection to server
> cyradm> server localhost
> IMAP Password:
>               Login failed: user not found at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm
> line 118
> server: localhost: cannot authenticate
> localhost>
>
>                    5357 Connect     cyrus at localhost on
>                    5357 Init DB     hudat_sys
>                    5357 Query       SELECT sys_shadow.password AS
> userPassword FROM sys_users, sys_shadow WHERE sys_users.username = 'root'
> AND sys_users.domain = 'imap.somename.com' AND
> sys_shadow.sys_users_id=sys_users.sys_users_id
>                    5357 Query       SELECT sys_shadow.password AS
> cmusaslsecretPLAIN FROM sys_users, sys_shadow WHERE sys_users.username =
> 'root' AND sys_users.domain = 'imap.somename.com' AND
> sys_shadow.sys_users_id=sys_users.sys_users_id
>                    5357 Quit
>
> Whups, picked up root as the username, but at least it got the right
> domain! Lets try authing again:
> localhost> auth cyrus
> IMAP Password:
> localhost>
>
>                    5363 Connect     cyrus at localhost on
>                    5363 Init DB     hudat_sys
>                    5363 Query       SELECT sys_shadow.password AS
> userPassword FROM sys_users, sys_shadow WHERE sys_users.username = 'cyrus'
> AND sys_users.domain = 'imap.somename.com' AND
> sys_shadow.sys_users_id=sys_users.sys_users_id
>                    5363 Query       SELECT sys_shadow.password AS
> cmusaslsecretPLAIN FROM sys_users, sys_shadow WHERE sys_users.username =
> 'cyrus' AND sys_users.domain = 'imap.somename.com' AND
> sys_shadow.sys_users_id=sys_users.sys_users_id
>                    5363 Quit
>

> Look at that, it worked unqualified. It also goes in qualified too... but
> only on localhost:
>
> toy:~# cyradm
> cyradm> server localhost
> IMAP Password:
>               Login failed: user not found at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/Cyrus/IMAP/Admin.pm

Does 'cm user.test at virtual1.com' work?

What is mysql query dump for this auth?

> Now, I'm not crazy, I've been admining boxes for 6 or 7 years now and I am
> just proficient enough that I can go in and hack away at something when it
> doesn't work, given enough time. The imap.somename.com only started
> working when I added the following to my /etc/hosts file:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.localdomain imap.somename.com
>
> I don't know if it worked on the localhost before I added that to the
> /etc/hosts (for resolving purposes), but I can test if you like.

This worked by accident because reverse lookup returned 'localhost'.
imapd cannot determine domainname from that thus making the defaultdomain
auth.

This will work for you:

127.0.0.1 host.imap.somename.com localhost localhost.localdomain

It'd be easier if you specify a mech rather than have cyradm chase one
that works.  So try,

cyradm --user admin at defaultdomain --auth login localhost

If this works you can try other mechs.

> Oh, and umm... if you still don't believe me:
>
> toy:~# telnet toy.hudat.com 143
> Trying 204.235.97.76...
> Connected to toy.hudat.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK imap.somename.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.2-BETA server ready
> . login cyrus at imap.somename.com PASSWORD
> . NO Login failed: user not found
>
> toy:~# telnet localhost 143
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK imap.somename.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.2-BETA server ready
> . login cyrus at imap.somename.com PASSWORD
> . OK User logged in
> . logout
> * BYE LOGOUT received
> . OK Completed
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> toy:~#

This is suspicious, but it works for me:

# imtest -a cyradm at admin.ipass.net -m login localhost
S: * OK Ipass Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.2 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=NTLM AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 SASL-IR
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN cyradm at admin.ipass.net {6}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 OK User logged in
Authenticated.

# imtest -a cyradm at admin.ipass.net -m login x.y.z.60
S: * OK Ipass Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.2 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=NTLM AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 SASL-IR
S: C01 OK Completed
OK Completed Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN cyradm at admin.ipass.net {6}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 OK User logged in
Authenticated.

> > Here are simple rules:
> >
> > - global admins need to be unqualified in imapd.conf
> > - Setup an interface that resolves to host.defaultdomain or setup an
> > interface that does not resolve to anything.  This is required only if you
> > want to use unqualified admins when connecting to cyrus.
> > - global admins need to be unqualified in the user database
>
> Well I guess I found a bug then, because I think the proof above basically
> breaks like 3 of those rules in terms of what is actually happening. In my
> user database, the user is qualified (and, I might add, qualified to the
> right domain). The user can log into the localhost interface where
> imap.somename.com resolves to just fine, either qualified or unqualified,
> don't matter. However, when trying to go in through the public interface,
> it doesn't matter what I try, I just can't log in.

I am still not convinced that your setup is correct, although some of the
things you brought up could point to problems.  I use saslauthd for auth,
but the behavior between auxprop and saslauthd should not differ.  I am
also using the latest CVS code which should handle admins the same as
2.2.2-beta.

--
Igor