global admin without defaultdomain?

Kendrick Vargas ken at hudat.com
Sun Dec 28 22:13:35 EST 2003

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003, Igor Brezac wrote:

> > > This admin is for hudat.com only.  Global admins have to be unqualified in
> > > the config file:
> > > admin: cyrus
> >
> > Sorry, meant to mention I tried that too, and no, it didn't work.
> >

> What params did you pass to cyradm?  What mysql queries where executed?

Allright, sorry it took so long, but I've been setting a bunch of
different things up for my system and I just came back to the imap
portion...

Here's the config details for the virtdomains stuff in my config:

virtdomains: yes
servername: imap.somename.com
defaultdomain: imap.somename.com
admins: cyrus

I went back and did a bunch of testing, and as it looks, I ended up having
to put "imap.somename.com" in my /etc/hosts file so that it'd come up on
some sort of lookup. I slapped it in as an alias for 127.0.0.1, and as it
turns out, I can't log in as cyrus at imap.somename.com unless I go in
through the 127.0.0.1 interface.

I hate to sound mean about this, but that's kinda ridiculous. But,
apparantly it did work. If I go in through the public interface, it just
won't work. Apparently cyrus seems to care whether or not a virtual domain
is pointing at a particular interface or not. That can't be good practice,
and will likely frustrate people.

In any case, I did get it working... I have a question though... What
happens if an ISP has a configuration where they have an SMTP server, an
IMAP server (running cyrus 2.2), and a web farm handling the web traffic
for their several hundred sites. Does this mean that unless they point DNS
name records for the domain (not the hosts within it) to the imap server,
it won't let users log into their mailboxes if the users' domains are
pointed to the webfarm? Or worse yet, will the admins have to maintain a
local list of domains mapped to that interface in the /etc/hosts for that
domain?

This all seems terribly cumbersome. I have it working on my small personal
box but I won't be able to deploy this on my work systems any time soon. I
hope that behavior changes. Besides, reversing and resolving the domain
and IP on every connection seems a waste of resources :-)
			-peace

--
Let he who is without clue kiss my ass