Sieve errors?

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Aug 2 08:06:52 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Scott Adkins wrote:

>   IOERROR: fstating sieve script /usr/sieve/a/ak132301/defaultbc: No such
>      file or directory

This means the user doesn't have an activated sieve script

>   append_check() of 'user.ag178900' failed
>   append_check() of 'user.lm237599' failed

These could be a number of things, I just committed code to CVS to tell
you what the actual error really is.

> What do they mean exactly?  Debugging is set pretty high right now... Also,
> there aren't any sieve scripts on the system right now, as we just turned
> it on for the first time.  This means that all of the a-z directories in
> /usr/sieve are empty.

As they should be.

> Should I have created a directory for every user prior to enabling sieve?
> What about the defaultbc files?  Should I have a 'default' file of some
> kind copied to all the user directories?

Nope.

> Or should I assume that these errors are normal and that it is just extra
> debugging information that won't be shown if I wasn't logging so high?

The fstat errors will happen whenever a user that doesn't have a sieve
script gets a delivery.  The append_check errors are also probably not
that severe, but apparently the code doesn't have enough logging in it
right now to say what exactly is happening (I suspect the users are over
quota).

-Rob