Virtual Domains and authentication

Andrew Koros akoros at ke.uu.net
Tue Aug 12 06:05:59 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 11:47, Michael Fair wrote:
> I've never used pam for virtual domains but the general idea
> is that the user provides the fully qualified user at domain.dom
> as their userid.  SASL splits that up into a "realm" and a
> user so in terms of SASL, creating the user looks something
> like this:
> saslpasswd -c -U domain.dom userid
>
> I really can't say how this will map to PAM since PAM really
> doesn't support the concept of realms (as I understand it).
>
> -- Michael --

Hi,

With pam you can have IMAP accounts of the type: username.domain.tld so
that mail sent to username at domain.tld is delivered to a cyrus account:
username.domain.tld

This needs the the option "unixhierarchysep: yes" is set in the
/etc/imapd.conf.

There are howto's showing how to achieve this:
http://www.delouw.ch/linux/Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO/html/index.html
and
http://home.teleport.ch/simix/RPMS/Cyrus-imapd/contrib/Postfix+cyrus+postgreSQL+web-cyradm.pdf

In the new cyrus-2.2.x (now in beta) username at domain.tld will be
allowed. Otherwise for now you can use the Perdition IMAP/POP proxy
server(http://vergenet.net/linux/perdition/) or get a patch (I think),
for the current stable 2.1.x series.

--
Andrew Koros
Developer, Systems Services

UUNET KENYA LTD
2nd Floor Parkside Towers
Mombasa Road, Nairobi

Tel: +254 2 69088618
Fax: +254 2 69088001
Email: akoros at ke.uu.net

http://www.uunet.co.ke

NOTICE: "The contents of this e-mail and any accompanying documentation is
confidential and any use thereof, in whatever form, by anyone other than the
addressee for whom it is intended, is strictly prohibited."