creating users

Christian Schulte cs at schulte.it
Tue Aug 12 21:58:54 EDT 2003

Am Dienstag, 12. August 2003 02:58 schrieb Ken Murchison:
> Christian Schulte wrote:
> > Am Montag, 11. August 2003 23:50 schrieb Norman Zhang:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm a little confused on the process of creating users. First I "su
> >> cyrus" then I typed the following commands,

> >>Now does joebob require an account on my Linux box?
> >
> > That depends on how you configured SASL! If you use PAM with SASL yes
> > otherwise you should not need to.
>
> Why would PAM require him to have local user accounts?  I use PAM and
> don't have local accounts.

You are right! After re-reading several parts of documentation I am pretty
shure I totally misunderstood PAM ;-)
It does not require him to use local accounts but enables the possibility to
do so.

Btw: I am using auxprop mysql. How do I have to create the shared secrets in
mysql database for CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5 correctly (the values for the
cmusaslsecretXXXX fields) ? For cmusaslsecretPLAIN everything works fine. I
tried mysql MD5() function but I think the secrets cannot be produced by some
mysql function and need special processing. Any pointers ?

--Christian