creating users

Norman Zhang nzhang at arkon-group.com
Tue Aug 12 17:50:48 EDT 2003

Hi,

>>> Also depends on how you configured SASL. Its mainly a question of
>>> where you store your user accounts. If e.g. using auxprop mysql you
>>> could easily use a squirrelmail plugin which knows how to update
>>> your database. But that really depends on your setup!
>>
>> If I setup MySQL and squirrelmail, could the user be able to change
>> his password on the fly (i.e., both passwd and saslpasswd)?
>
> What do you mean by 'both passwd and saslpasswd'? If you configure
> cyrus-imapd to use PAM->MySQL, all passwords you need are stored in
> MySQL. You don't even need saslpasswd. If you want other services on
> your box to authenticate against MySQL, just configure them via PAM.
> There is no need to store any normal user accounts in /etc/passwd.

Thank you for your answers. They clarified lots bubbles in my head.

I have compiled pam_mysql.so and placed it under /lib/security/. Now, to get
pam_mysql authenticate for cyrus. Do I need to replace imap, pop, lmtp under
/etc/pam.d as follows?

From:
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

To:
auth       optional     /lib/security/pam_mysql.so user=cyrus
passwd=password
account    required     /lib/security/pam_mysql.so user=cyrus
passwd=password

Regards,
Norman