creating users

Norman Zhang nzhang at arkon-group.com
Mon Aug 11 21:10:12 EDT 2003

Christian Schulte wrote:
> Am Montag, 11. August 2003 23:50 schrieb Norman Zhang:
>>
>> I'm a little confused on the process of creating users. First I "su
>> cyrus" then I typed the following commands,
>>
>>> cyradm localhost
>>> cm user.joebob
>>> quit
>>> exit (back as root)
>>> saslpasswd joebob
>>
>> Now does joebob require an account on my Linux box?
>
> That depends on how you configured SASL! If you use PAM with SASL yes
> otherwise you should not need to.

[root at mail etc]# more /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd
SASL_AUTHMECH=pam
SASL_RIMAP_HOSTNAME=
SASL_TIME_OF_DAY_LOGIN_RESTRICTIONS=yes

Does that mean I need local users?

>> Also if the email address for joebob is joe.bob at domain.com, do I
>> use postfix alias mapping to pass mail to joebob?
>
> Just another solution which should work.
>
>> To allow users' to change password on their own do I need
>> web-cyradm?
>
> Also depends on how you configured SASL. Its mainly a question of
> where you store your user accounts. If e.g. using auxprop mysql you
> could easily use a squirrelmail plugin which knows how to update your
> database. But that really depends on your setup!

If I setup MySQL and squirrelmail, could the user be able to change his
password on the fly (i.e., both passwd and saslpasswd)?

Regards,
Norman