Fatal error: tls_start_servertls() failed.

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Aug 20 20:55:57 EDT 2003

Mike Allen wrote:

> I get the above Fatal error when I try to do anything after the
> following command:
>
>     telnet localhost imaps
>
> Would someone please direct me as to how to debug this?  Thanks in
> advance for your help.

First or all, telneting to port 993 won't get you any visible data,
since SSL/TLS is negotiated before any IMAP protocol data is exchanged.
  If you really want to test imaps, then you should use imtest (included
with Cyrus) or OpenSSL's s_client.

The error you are seeing most likely means that you haven't configured
Cyrus for SSL/TLS (tls_* options in imapd.conf).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127