[ANN] New NTLM SASL code

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sun Aug 24 21:00:40 EDT 2003

For those of you who have been using the NTLM SASL plugin to support
Outlook clients, I have just committed some new code to CVS which allows
the authentication to be proxied to an existing M$ (or Samba?) server.

This allows you to offer NTLM to your clients w/o having to populate an
auxprop backend with user secrets.  The code essentially does what
pam_smb does for plaintext authentication (although my code is
completely independent and doesn't borrow anything from SMBlib) -- it
does user-level authentication to the M$ server, but it actually proxies
the server challenge to the client, and the client responses to the server.

The code still needs some more work (NetBIOS name resolution, Unicode
support), but its working for my OE client against my WinNT server.  If
anyone tries it and has any problems, I would appreciate a protocol dump
of the IMAP/POP3/NNTP/SMTP connection from the client to the SASL server
and of the NetBIOS/SMB (port 139) connection from the SASL server to the
M$ server.

Enjoy!
Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127