Two Cyrus servers

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Wed Aug 27 17:39:11 EDT 2003

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Devin Reade wrote:
>
>> You probably want to look at Cyrus Murder.  See the web site & source
>> code docs.  (I've not used it.)
>
> Note that this won't provide you with redundancy, only horizontal
> scalability.

True.  I assumed the original poster was asking about scalability issues.

Without having run cyrus in a cluster configuration, it is my belief
that common clustering technology could be used without a problem.
Note that in such a case you're commonly not actually using a distributed
filesystem, but rather shared disk for the mail spool, the mail store,
the extra cyrus database files, and related stuff.  Beware of cheap
cluster solutions that are susceptible to split-brain syndrom.

You could, of course, make your world even more complicated by
running a set of clustered mail stores behind a murder aggregator,
thus addressing both scalability and redundancy ...
--
         Devin Reade         <gdr at gno.org>