Is /dev/random really my problem?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Apr 7 03:54:15 EDT 2003

Hi,

every now and then it becomes impossible to log in to our cyrus-imapd
2.1.12 server using IMAP under RedHat AS 2.1. POP sessions appear to be
unaffected. The symptom is that a connection to port 143 is accepted but
that it then takes several minutes until the server shows its banner and
prompt. This condition can last for several minutes, but eventually the
server becomes unstuck.

My current working hypothesis is that this behavior is caused by a lack of
entropy from /dev/random for the SASL library. I know that I could change
config.h to use /dev/urandom. However, I'm sceptical for the following
reasons:

- there are only about 10 users altogether; does entropy really run out so
quickly?
- from what I've read I thought that "cat /dev/random" would block in these
instances. It does not.
- POP seems to be unaffected.

Given this data, is it at all conceivable that /dev/random is really the
issue here? If it isn't, what would be the best way to debug this? I tried
using strace, but wasn't really sure *what* to strace.

Thanks, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK