Is /dev/random really my problem?

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Mon Apr 7 04:42:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 00:54, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
> Given this data, is it at all conceivable that /dev/random is really the
> issue here? If it isn't, what would be the best way to debug this? I tried
> using strace, but wasn't really sure *what* to strace.

Server's tend not to have much entropy unless you give it to them. A lot
of it depends on how your /dev/random is set up. Are you using egd or
something similar? I myself have patched my Linux kernel so that it
takes entropy from network devices as well as the usual sources. This
seems to have helped significantly, even if it does somewhat reduce the
security of the system.

--Chris