Cyrus IMAP server startup upon boot problems

Nikola Milutinovic Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu
Mon Apr 7 09:04:21 EDT 2003

Hi all.

I'm having strange problems starting Cyrus IMAP server v2.1.5 during machine
boot-up. When I login to the machine as "root" and start the startup script
"master" starts up just fine (although it is still attached to the terminal).
Starting up from the same script during machine boot-up fails. Cyrus master
reports startup and really exists for a few seconds, then vanishes without a
trace or message.

The OS is Tru64 UNIX 4.0D and the script goes like this:

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
export PATH

CYRUS_MASTER="/usr/sbin/master"
#CYRUS_RECOVER="/usr/sbin/ctl_mboxlist"
CYRUS_DB="/usr/sbin/ctl_cyrusdb"
CYRUS_VERSION="2.1.5"

Pid=`ps -A | grep $CYRUS_MASTER | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`

case "$1" in
'start')
     if [ "X$Pid" = "X" ]; then
         echo "Cyrus IMAP4 v${CYRUS_VERSION} starting"
         echo "Cyrus DB cleanup"
         rm ${VAR_HOME}/db/*
         echo "Cyrus IMAP4 starting Cyrus Master Process"
         nohup $CYRUS_MASTER > /dev/null < /dev/null &
     else
         echo "Cyrus Master process seams to be running."
     fi
     ;;
'stop')
     echo "Stopping Cyrus IMAP4"
     if [ "X${Pid}" != "X" ]; then
         kill -TERM ${Pid}
         su cyrus -c "$CYRUS_DB -c"
     else
         echo "No Cyrus Master Process found"
     fi
     ;;
*)
     echo "usage: $0 {start|stop}"
     ;;
esac

One thing that I have noticed with both Cyrus IMAP's "master" and AMaViS'
"amavis-milterd" is that after startup, although they are supposed to be
daemons, they still show my terminal as the controlling terminal. Could that be
some source of problems?

Nix.