clarification - email virus protection

Wayne Dawson jongalt at pinn.net
Thu Apr 10 07:18:04 EDT 2003

Hello everyone
   thanks a lot for everybody's input!
   I just want to make sure I understand something.
   The MTA that I use (which will probably be Postfix) will largely
determine what AV software I can use, right?
   Now here's the part I want to confirm/clarify:  I am concerned with
*incoming* email when I talk about scanning for viruses.  Granted, I don't
want to send any viruses out either, but it isn't my greatest concern - we
are protecting against viruses on our internal machines anyway, which
should largely prevent us from sending them out.
   So apparently, here's how it works:

Incoming
- incoming mail is received by Postfix
- Postfix, or something, initiates the virus scanner
- Postfix drops the mail somewhere
- Cyrus picks up the mail and stores it
- users log into Cyrus to read their mail

Outgoing:
- user's mail client talks directly to Postfix to send mail
- Postfix probably doesn't scan for viruses at this point...?
- Postfix sends mail to receiving mail server

Thanks,
Wayne