need organizational hint

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Fri Apr 11 18:36:14 EDT 2003

it's definantly less work to learn LDAP then to modify every program to
use something else and maintain your changes. with LDAP the software
already uses it, or if it doesn't you can add support for it and feed the
changes back to the developers who will probably thank you and add it to
the main distribution so that others maintain it going forward (remember
with your own database you will have to go through the modification
process on the new versions of the software you use as well)

LDAP is in many ways an ugly, inefficant beast created by a committe, but
it does have one significant advantage of most alturnatives, it's widly
supported by programs and as you replace people your new people are likly
to have some knowledge aobut it.

in many ways it's the same type of advantages that MS stuff has, but while
the LDAP stuff is far from perfect they definantly seem to be a lot better
then MS and you do have competition for your server software so you don't
get locked into anything.

David Lang