virtual domains question

Phil Howard phil-info-cyrus at ipal.net
Fri Apr 11 11:53:56 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 10:06:37AM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:

| Unless you're asking about how they are stored internally, which you
| _shouldn't_ have to worry about, I think the documentation is pretty
| clear on how the naming is done.  Assuming that neither "example.com"
| nor "example.net" are your defaultdomain, the mailboxes above would be
| named "user.tom at example.com" and "user.tom at example.net".  Internally
| these are stored as "example.com!user.tom" and "example.net!user.tom".
| If one of these two domains are your defaultdomain, then the name is
| just "user.tom".

So there is a translation of a perceived hierarchy to another one.
Does it happen the same way without virtual domains?

How do you globally reference a folder?  "user.tom at example.com.foldername"?

What if a domain name is longer _and_ has the appearance of being a
shorter domain + a folder?  If I have "user.tom at example.com.example.net"
is that a folder named "example.net" for "user.tom at example.com" or is it
a user named "tom" in a host with a weird name "example.com.example.net"
which is perfectly valid?

| > Any idea when cross domain ACL will be functional?
|
| Don't hold your breath.  Since neither I nor CMU need virtdomains
| support, I don't have no incentive to spend time working on this.  I
| only implemented what you see as an academic exercise, and to silence
| the complainers who were too lazy to do it themselves.

Well I was actually planning to do it myself, except for everyone saying
I should pay any attention to the internal hierarchy.  I didn't find any
documentation that completely described it, so I just abandoned the idea.

| Just out of curiosity, what would you use cross domain ACLs for?
| Globally shared public mailboxes?  Or do you want to allow users in one
| domain to be able to access user mailboxes in another domain?

Cross department domain sharing.  Different departments would have
their own domain names, but in some cases that sharing would go between
specific people in different departments, hence different domains.

The way I look at it, multiple domains is just extra levels in one big
single hierarchy.