Question about Cyrus, ext3, and Linux kernel 2.4.18 bug

Michael Fair michael at daclubhouse.net
Tue Apr 15 22:00:35 EDT 2003

> That will kill your kernel (unless redhat did a major ext3 bughunt on
their
> 2.4.18). Don't do it. Switch to 2.4.21pre, or try using xfs.

I think it's worth noting that XFS under no configuration
journals your data.  Only your metadata.  Under certain procedures
(like create temp file, fill temp file, replace real file) this
can result in complete data loss or corruption for the contents
of the file.

I do not know if Cyrus performs any operations that would result
in corrupted files as a result of the metadata being journaled
but the data not being journaled but I have decided that until
XFS has data journal, that it is not a viable journaling filesystem
to protect against corruption.  It is however, a very fast file
system for dealing with very large media files (which has always
been at the forefront for the needs of SGI's targeted audience).

-- Michael --