messages w/ bare newlines problem

Oliver Sommer oliver at kernzeit.com
Wed Apr 16 04:21:41 EDT 2003

First: thank you for your quick answer!
Robert Scussel wrote:
> The one question I have, is that I didn't see anything about null
> characters in messages as not being RFC complient, as far as SMTP goes.
> Is there a reason that LMTP decides that they are, or am I missing where
> it says that they are not complient?
actually I don't know details about the RFCs (and don't have time these days
to look into them).

<speculation start>
I could imagine that the design of lmtp is derived from smtp. And even if it
isn't, it makes IMO sense to implement lmtp in a similiar way to smtp.
I believe that cyrus makes such a hassle of NUL-bytes and improper newlines,
because the developers don't see the point of supporting broken mail clients
and let them spread. If there are patches that allow the delivery and
processing of malformed messages, why then these are not included in the
distribution(one could add a ./configure --option to the distribution)?
<speculation end>

I think the best thing for cyrus was to silently convert LFs to CRLFs and to
drop/replace NULs. I don't see the point why this could cause problems.

My customer has lots(!) of messages received via an old sendmail/vpopd MTA
originating from costumers using problematical MUAs. It seems to be
impossible for now to upload these messages from the netscape mailer to a
cyrus mailbox(via imap).
Doh!
I find cyrus-imap a great software, my customer thinks it it missing some
important features.
I mean, I am not the only one having these problems...
Do you think I can circumvent this through using cyrus deliver, not lmtp?
Actually I fight the newlines not(yet) the NULs.

\Oliver