ldapd not advertising AUTH=LOGIN

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Apr 11 15:15:34 EDT 2003

subject should be imapd.. Been up way too long :)

Ok, fair enough. To clarify, this is what Im thinking is happing now (Im
trying to avoid significant words like authenticate/authorize and what
not.)

Are these true?

- the IMAP LOGIN command is the traditional method of verifing identity,
ahd currently always works (unless overridden in a configuration file)

- with SASL a client is not so much as verifing identity with the IMAP
server as it is with SASL which used common grammer among all protocols
that use it

- today, modern imap clients will always try to use SASL, and if there
not using TLS would likely need special encouregement to use the
plaintext IMAP LOGIN.

One thing that is confusing me is that on an existing, production,
server (running an old uw-imap server) its capability line is:

CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 NAMESPACE IDLE SCAN SORT MAILBOX-REFERRALS
LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT

And this works just fine. That machine does not somuch as have any file
on it with "sasl" in the name, except for some ldap man pages.