Long Lived imapd processes

twk twk at ncsu.edu
Tue Apr 15 15:34:35 EDT 2003

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Earl R Shannon wrote:
>

>>The processes are using resources on a resource limited machine. We are
>>looking at all the ways we can reduce the load on the machine. Having a
>>client connected for a month and not reading mail is not productive for
>>anybody.
>

> An imapd process that isn't doing anything other than answering a NOOP
> once every few minutes isn't costing you many resources (some minimal
> amount of swap space, maybe).

You are assuming that these old processes are only answering NOOPs. What
if they are checking every folder for mail every 5 minutes? every
minute? every 30 seconds? (yes, I've seen that).

So now if we assume that a process is costing me resources that I wish
to recover, what is the right way to terminate it?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Karches                    email : twk at ncsu.edu
Web Systems Administrator      phone : 919.515.5508
NCSU Information Technology