Long Lived imapd processes

Earl R Shannon Earl_Shannon at ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 16 11:01:37 EDT 2003

Hello,

I tried the SIGTERM kill method and I am concerned about a behavior I'm
seeing. If the last imapd process is removed from the server the master
process does not start a new one. The master will accept a connection
but it cannot give it to an imapd process. The master thinks at least
one must still be around somewhere.

OK. Doctor it hurts when I do this. Doctor says don't do that. Fine.

But, seems to me if it could happen then the master should be prepared
to handle the situation and it isn't. Should I consider this a bug?
Things happen and it sounds like at least one person on the list is
sending kill -SIGTERM ( kill -TERM for us Solaris users ) to their imapd
processes. This seems to be leaving the master with bad info based on
the behavior I'm seeing.

Regards,
Earl Shannon