Emails being lost

James Shamas jshamas at optima-inc.us
Mon Apr 21 17:26:50 EDT 2003

Q:  If I am losing emails, what should I do to try and troubleshoot the
problem?

I am running Cyrus 2.0.16 on FreeBSD, with sendmail as the MTA and
drweb/amavis-ng as the virus scanner.  Outlook 2002 is the IMAP client.

I noticed recently that sometimes if I reply to a particular co-worker's
emails, she often does not get my reply.  I do not get a "message
bounced" email, it just disappears.  I do not know  I did some testing
and found a few things:
  *  If I request a return receipt, the email is always succesfully
delivered
  *  I do not know if other users' in our environment are having this
problem.  So far she is the only one but I cannot prove that there
aren't others (or everyone for that matter).
  *  The maillog looks the same if the message is lost or not. that is:

maillog:Apr 21 16:37:57 s1 sendmail[17313]: h3LKbmiO017313:
from=<j*****s at o********.us>, size=6901, class=0, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<!~!UENERkVCMDkAAQACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABgAAAAAAAAAOBUi7NvqcUS51/bloo
ti98KAAAAQAAAAuxGD5DzkJUqMzcohpms6, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
relay=b***********.us[12.111.39.146]
maillog:Apr 21 16:37:59 s1 drweb-smf: [h3LKbmiO017313]: processing
message from <j******s at o******.us> completed (exit code 3)
maillog:Apr 21 16:37:59 s1 sendmail[17317]: h3LKbmiO017313:
to=<k***t at o******.us>, delay=00:00:02, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=cyrus,
pri=30768, relay=localhost, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

I looked for these message IDs all over the system and they do not turn
up.  I am not sure what to do next to try to figure this out, so I
figured I would ask the list.  Thanks for your patience!

James