Misunderstanding of MUPDATE ?

Christian Schulte cs at schulte.it
Sat Apr 26 11:57:21 EDT 2003

Hello,

I am searching for a solution which makes the following possible in an
easy and simple way:

I have cyrus-2.2 running on machine "A". It is a complete cyrus-2.2
installation with hierarchysep, virtdomains, altnamespace turned on and
it is being configured like:

./configure --with-openssl=/usr \
             --enable-netscapehack \
             --with-sasl=/usr \
             --with-bdb-libdir=/usr/lib \
             --with-bdb-incdir=/usr/include \
             --with-cyrus-group=bin \
             --with-cyrus-user=cyrus \
             --without-krb \
             --with-idle=idled \
             --with-notify=no \
             --prefix=/usr/local/cyrus2 \
             --exec-prefix=/usr/local/cyrus2 \
             --with-cyrus-prefix=/usr/local/cyrus2 \
             --enable-listext \
             --enable-annotatemore \
             --with-pidfile=/var/run/cyrus-master.pid \
             --with-statedir=/var/cyrus-state \
             --with-syslogfacility=MAIL

Authentication is setup with auxprop mysql. Also running on machine "A"
is sendmail which has cyrusv2 configured as the local mailer and does
local delivery with the /var/imap/socket/lmtp socket. sendmail is linked
with sasl2 and SMTP_AUTH feature is configured to use auxprop mysql also.

Currently machine "A" is the only mailserver. There is no secondary MX
and all POP/IMAP accounts are accessed on this machine. If machine "A"
is down for some reason all email services are offline. Even delivery of
emails does not work so that if sending an email to one of the domains
machine "A" is mx for people are getting delivery warnings.

What I need to do is to setup a second machine "B" which can be used
simultanously for all email services. Machine "B" will run a secondary
mx which will forward everything to machine "A". So machine "A"'s
sendmail will be the only smtp-server which will do local delivery to
cyrus. As I read into MUPDATE I think machine "A" will be called the
backend server ? This machine holds the mail spool.  As of my
understanding of MUPDATE I can only setup a cyrus installation on
machine "B" to which my users can do IMAP/POP connections which
internally accesses machine "A"'s mail spool over MUPDATE protocol ?
Does that mean that if machine "A" is down POP/IMAP connections to
machine "B" will also be refused ?
So I cannot setup a redundant cyrus system using MUPDATE ?
Of course if machine "A" goes down no more mails can be delivered to
cyrus so the content of machine "A"'s mail spool cannot change either.
But does the cyrus installation on machine "B" hold a cache to the
complete mailstore on disk if all users would access the mail store by
connecting to machine "B" ?
What I would need is a mechanism similar to the mysql replication
feature!  Any solutions ?

Thanks for your answers!

--Christian--