Webmail applications that are kind to the IMAP server?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Sep 2 13:15:12 EDT 2002

-- Russell Packer <russell.packer at voxsurf.com> is rumored to have mumbled
on Montag, 2. September 2002 17:55 Uhr +0100 regarding RE: Webmail
applications that are kind to the IMAP server?:

> Squirrel Mail?

They seem to use the same approach:

> SquirrelMail makes a new IMAP connection with every folder and mail
> operation. That means, with each click, the IMAP server gets another user
> logged in, a tiny itty bitty request is made, then the IMAP session is
> shut down.
>
> Why?
>
> Because we can not open persistent connections with PHP for each user on
> your system. We tried pconnect, but we could only make it open one
> connection, not one connection per user (perhaps you can see a BIG
> difference like we did).
>
> As a result, sometimes your IMAP server doesn't let us log in, due to the
> number of ConnectionsPerMinute.
>
> We are thinking of making an IMAP gateway to hopefully speed things up,
> but that is still in planning.
>
> If you can figure out a nice way to make PHP create a new persistent
> connection with PHP, we'd love to hear it. Until then, we are stuck with
> the immense overhead involved with nearly every IMAP mail server for each
> click.

Seems like I found the answer to my question, though ... ;-)
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK