Trying to make sieve work

Charrick, Gordon gordon.charrick at tfn.com
Tue Sep 3 16:00:25 EDT 2002

I've had cyrus-imap working for a few months and I'm trying to get filters
to work on the server. I'm running Redhat 7.3 by the way.

I have the following in /etc/cyrus.conf

SERVICES {
  imap          cmd="/usr/cyrus/bin/imapd" listen="imap" prefork=0
  sieve         cmd="/usr/cyrus/bin/timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0
  lmtpunix      cmd="/usr/cyrus/bin/lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp"
prefork=0
}

and it's listening on port 2000. However, when I use sieveshell to try
anything I get the following:

[gmc at gmc text]$ sieveshell localhost
connecting to localhost
Please enter your password: xxxxxxxx
unable to connect to server: Authentication error at /usr/bin/sieveshell
line 149, <STDIN> line 1.

The username and password work connecting to the imap server. I have tried
using the -u option to specify the user and get the same results. I'm hoping
it's something simple and someone will have a quick answer and I don't have
to go hunting through the perl code to see what's wrong.

Gordon Charrick
Thomson Financial
1455 Research Blvd
Rockville MD 20850