Tracing IMAP commands on the server

Daniel Nilsson dnilsson at sisoft.com
Wed Sep 4 13:39:57 EDT 2002

All,

We are using mozilla as our preferred mail client at work together with
a Cyrus 2.0.16 IMAP server. This combination works fine for the most
part, though I'd like to debug one problem that I'm pretty sure is a
Mozilla bug. Sometimes, when I read messages they are marked as read in
the mail client but a few minutes later (probably when the client checks
for new mail the next time) they reappear as unread again in Mozilla.
This mostly happens with messages that are filtered by sieve into
subfolders of the INBOX, not so often in the INBOX itself.

Mozilla by defaults starts up 5 concurrent connections to the IMAP
server, this allows the user to read messages while Mozilla is checking
for new messages in the background. I'm concerned that these 5
connections somehow have some kind of race condition where one will mark
a message unread and another connection just returned from a new mail
scan where the message was unread.

I have tried to debug this by monitoring the traffic using tcpdump
(ethereal actually). I find this pretty hard though and I'm looking for
advice on how to debug this from the servers perspective. Can I turn on
some command tracing in cyrus ? What are the implications when one
client have 5 simultaneous connections open to the IMAP server for
debugging ?

Thanks
--
Daniel Nilsson