pop3d: who/why tries to execute it?

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Thu Sep 5 12:04:36 EDT 2002

Ken Murchison wrote:

> Quoting Erik Steffl <steffl at bigfoot.com>:
>
> >    I just found out that my log directory is bloated - the reason is
> > that I have about 20 to 60 MB in /var/log/mail.(err|info|log|warn)
> > files. They are filled with messages like these (mail.err):
> >
> > Aug 23 22:21:30 localhost master[19845]: couldn't exec
> > /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/pop3d: No such file or directory
> > Aug 23 22:21:30 localhost master[344]: got weird response from child: 2
> >
> >    why would it try to execute pop3d? does it mean somebody is trying to
> > connect to my computer using pop3?
> >
> >    I do not have pop3d installed so it's no wonder it cannot find it,
> > that's not a problem, I am just wondering why would it try to execute
> > it, only on that particular date (aug 23), I have few log files saved (I
> > use logrotate) and none of them contain these error messages. Why would
> > cyrus try to execute pop3d 130993 times in one day?
> >
> >    can I set cyrus so that it doesn't try to execute it even if somebody
>
> Comment out the pop3 entries in /etc/cyrus.conf and restart master (or send it
> a SIGHUP).
>
> > tries to connect to pop3? I already commented out pop3d from
> > /etc/cyrus.conf.
>
> Not according to what I see below.

  ? all (four) lines where pop3 occurs are commented out (pop3, pop3s
with pop3d and pop3, pop3s with pop3proxyd). At least as far as I can
tell. Email split some lines into two so it might seem like:

# pop3
cmd="pop3d" listen="pop3" prefork=0 maxchild=50

  has popp3 uncommented but the two lines above are one logical line
(pop3 followed by cmd=...)

	erik