Cyrus IMAP Presentation

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Sep 15 21:46:56 EDT 2002

On 15 Sep 2002, Brian wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 11:42, Rob Siemborski wrote:
>
> > However, technicaly, Courier isn't an IMAP server, since it is
> > noncompliant in a variety of ways, and its author refuses to change it,
> > though I don't think any of its incompatibilities would result in a
> > performance loss (or gain).
>
> I was not aware of this.  Where can I read up on these differences and
> Courier's non-compliance?

I don't really want to get into this deeply, but here is a post from
comp.mail.imap this past June that details 3 noncompliances of Courier:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=Pine.LNX.4.50.0206050910320.6814-100000%40shiva0.cac.washington.edu

It also came to my attention recently (from the Squirrelmail Developer's
list) that Courier reports completely bogus results for the CAPABILITY
response (the stories I heard range from having a server report that it
supports SORT but actually does not support it to being able to have a
user-specified CAPABILITY response with no bearing on the actual
capabilities of the server).  I haven't actually verified this myself,
though if true it's a really nasty problem for any client trying to
interoperate.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper