Cyrus IMAP Presentation

Michael Fair michael at daclubhouse.net
Tue Sep 17 20:08:21 EDT 2002

> Do "typical" installations use altnamespace or the hierarchical name
space?

One point I didn't see on the list about this so far
in regards to "typical" installations and unix hierarchy
separator feature is that without it there is now way to
have a "." in the mailbox name which is important in at
least two "typical" situations.

1) firstname.lastname as the mailboxname/userid
   or any situation with "." as part of the ID.
and
2) "user at domain.dom"  as the mailboxname/userid

The first is common in some large organizations.

The second is for all Cyrus installs of versions
2.0.x and 2.1.x that want to do single IP
virtualhosting without implementing some sort of
rewrite or lookup schema.  Version 2.2 will no
longer need the unixhierarchy option to support this.

I'd consider both of these a common enough mail
installation to make the unixhierarchy separator
worth mentioning.

-- Michael --