Cyrus IMAP Presentation

Brian brianb at sboss.net
Tue Sep 17 12:05:34 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 11:47, adam at morrison-ind.com wrote:

> And, with no derision intended for the Cyrus team, the documentation
> is pretty sketchy about numerous points and has very few examples.
>  A great deal of knowledge is assumed on behalf of the reader,  knowledge it is
> nearly impossible to acquire without a working Cyrus install (and even then it
> can be pretty tough).

Amen!  It can be argued that great coders don't have time to write
documentation, but that was my saddest surprise when I first was given
the task of administering a large cyrus installation back in 1997 was
the lack of documentation.  I've always considered this list to be "the
documentation" as this was just about the only place I knew that would
have definitive information.

> Most of the documentation I've found concerns the 1.5.x series.

Which is why I was reluctant to upgrade to the 2.x series for a very
long time after it was out.

I've often wondered why O'Reilly has never commissioned a book about
Cyrus.  With co-lo's getting cheaper and cheaper, I always recommend
Cyrus whenever one of my sysadmin friends says they're going to do
POP/IMAP, but it's always met with "Where can I read up on it?"

--
Brian