Exporting single user mailboxes.

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Sun Sep 15 13:23:26 EDT 2002

> Quoting Rob Siemborski <rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu>:
>
>> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Tarjei Huse wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, does anyone have a perl script for exporting a users mailboxes
>> into a format that the user can be given as a tgz and then open and
>> read with a normal emailclient, preferably some windoes client?
>> I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.  What windows
>> client are you trying to use that doesn't support either IMAP or POP3?
> I'm deleting users from our system as they have quit. Because I cannot
> whant to wait untill the user might come around to retrive their mail, I
> want to export it and tar it up together with the users homedir etc and
> put it in a separate place for storage.
>
> The reason I want the format to be winblos accessible is so I can give
> the user his/her mail on a CD and tell them "use netscape" or something
> and then be done with it :). Didn't netscape4 use mbox?

IIRC the format used in Cyrus IMAP is just a file for every message
containing the hole message, isn't it. So you should be able to just "cat
*. > Cyrus" and put it into the nsmail directory of netscape communicator
4. Maybe you have to modify the cat... because you may have to make sure
there is a blank line between every message.

Simon