[POLL] NNTP support for Cyrus?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Sep 24 20:03:59 EDT 2002

I started off on a little test project that Larry and I have been
kicking around, and I wanted to get some feedback from the list.

As people may or may not know, you can setup Cyrus to store usenet
newsgroups in IMAP folders.  Currently, the best known solution for
feeding articles to Cyrus is to use 'imapfeed' which is in the
development branch of INN (there is also a patch against INN 2.2.1 in
netnews/).  In working on 'imapfeed' (porting to SASLv2, etc), it
occured to me that some sites might be partial to different news server
software, or might prefer to not have a separate news server at all.

So, how many people (if any) are interested in seeing NNTP support built
into Cyrus?  I'm interested in hearing about both server-side and
client-side support.

server-side (server/server transfer):
- would allow articles to be fed directly to Cyrus from _any_ NNTP
server (either your own, or your ISP's)
- might allow for easy mailstore replication

client-side support (reading/posting)
- allow your clients to read articles from the same server/storage via
either IMAP or NNTP

FWIW, I already have a working nntpd prototype in the 2.2 branch of
CVS.  The server-side support works in both streaming and non-streaming
modes.  I have only tested this with INN doing the feeding.  The
client-side support works with Pine for both reading and posting
(articles are not fed upstream yet).  Neither Netscape nor Outlook seem
happy with the current client-side support as them both appear to depend
on the XOVER extension.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127