Time has come to stop with /usr/local path pollution!

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 27 16:52:10 EDT 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Michael Newlyn Blake wrote:

> However it does seem that when explicit paths are called for certain
> componants they should be placed in line before the assumed system paths.
> That is to say, if you want to build and link against a libfoo in
> /snert/myjunk/foo-8.3.4 then this should be placed in the relevant paths
> before the include and lib dirs in /usr or /usr/local that are added
> automatically.

I agree 100% that the paths should be honored.  However, since it works
for most people, and testing is pretty annoying (as ken stated), I'm not
terribly eager to spend my time doing it, when I could be working on
performance or feature improvements elsewhere in the code.

If there was a patch provided that I could look at, approve, and apply,
I'd be willing to do so.  This is much less the case if I'm going to have
to read a bug report hidden inside of a rant that seems to assume that the
developers of Cyrus are part of a consipracy against all system
administrators everywhere.

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper