ACAP Status

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Sep 27 16:43:17 EDT 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Benjamin Zeiss wrote:

> i'm wondering about the current status of ACAP. It seems that 2 years or so
> ago the development
> of the cyrus sml daemon has stopped and it was left in a quite unfinished
> state
> (i.e. missing /et directory). i'm wondering:
>
> - is there currently any development (protocol/daemon/client-wise)
> concerning acap

Not really.

> - did somebody actually manage to make the cyrus acap daemon work ? i tried
> it and after compilation
> the telnet test seemed to work. however, saving something in mulberry left
> the preferences directory
> empty. so it basically executed ok, but didn't store anything on harddisk.

It worked when we tested it ;)

[snip]
> i like the idea behind imsp and acap very much and i'm currently running
> the imsp daemon which
> does the job for me. i just fear that my address book might get too big one
> day.

We're currently using IMSP for shared preferences and addressbooks and
aren't haveing any problems.

> are there any reasons for this development of a (what i find) promising
> thing ?

We started the ACAP project in the hopes it would do what MUPDATE does for
us now (for the Murder).  The problem was that ACAP is a very complicated
protocol by comparison and it just wasn't worth it to us to continue
active development.  (In fact, the ACAP client libraries have been removed
from 2.2, since they were basically dead weight in the distribution).

-Rob

Rob Siemborski * Andrew Systems Group * Cyert Hall 207 * 412-268-7456
Research Systems Programmer * /usr/contributed Gatekeeper