Time has come to stop with /usr/local path pollution!

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Sun Sep 29 05:08:59 EDT 2002

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Carson Gaspar wrote:
> --On Friday, September 27, 2002 10:34 AM -0400 Ken Murchison
> <ken at oceana.com> wrote:
>
> >A lot of bitching, and no proposed fixes.  It works for me, and I'm sure
>
> I have submitted patches in the past to fix this dain-bramaged configure
> behaviour. They have been ignored.
>
> Lots of the --with-foo options are implemented badly in configure.in. I'd
> like to fix them, but can't until the maintainers stop insisting on
> supporting autoconf-2.13.

Well, the problem is: autoconf is a through and through bitch to support :-)

CMU has a shared tree of m4 macros, I think we'd need to send them the full
port of all the stuff in cmulocal/, plus of all the stuff that _uses_ it
(unless cmulocal is made to be autoconf-version agnostic).  I know SASL and
Cyrus both share the same AFS cmulocal/ dir even...

> At this point, I've basically given up, and just manually hack configure to
> be non-idiotic before I configure a new release.

Well, I can actually testbed the configure changes for you, and use them for
the Debian builds... But my requirements re. cmulocal are very different
(aka. as long as it works for Debian's Cyrus build) than CMU's.  However,
since my build env. is _very_ well behaved and all the stuff is under /usr,
it gets somewhat difficult to spot bugs in the find-the-foo paths from
configure.in :-)

  Henrique Holschuh