A little documentation for the maintainers (exim + cyrus)

James Greenhalgh james.greenhalgh at worldpay.com
Fri Sep 27 12:07:11 EDT 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:57:38 -0400
Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> wrote:

> James Greenhalgh wrote:
> >
> > I noticed in part of the documentation there is a reference to getting
> > exim and cyrus to work together.  Sadly it calls deliver which isn't the
> > optimal method having read recent posts.  Try this delivery transport (you
> > can use this in the localuser director instead of local_delibery):
> >
> > local_lmtp:
> >   driver = smtp
> >   protocol = lmtp
> >   hosts_override
> >   hosts = localhost
> >   allow_localhost
> >   return_path_add
>
> How does this differ from the second Exim example in the docs?
>
> I know Matt Bernstein has a patch for doing LMTP over a UNIX socket, but
> until its in the main distro, I don't want to document it.

*Second* exim example in the docs?  The only one I've found is one using
deliver and a pipe.  The one above is talking to the lmtpd, over a tcp
connection.  It's from a standard version of cyrus and a standard version of
the latest exim version 3.xx.  Is deliver actually faster than tcp connections
(to localhost)?  I was getting the impression that it's slow from various
posts here.

If you could point me to said second example it'd be useful :)

[disclaimer]
I am a Cyrus newbie.