database types

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 16 15:15:26 EDT 2002

   Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:44:01 -0300 (ADT)
   From: Aidan Evans <ae at is.dal.ca>
[...]
     This says

	   >    --with-duplicate-db=DB  use DB (db3, skiplist) as a backend
	   > for the duplicate delivery db (Default: db3_nosync
	   )

	   db3_nosync, since the worst part about losing this is that someone
	   might get a vacation message twice.  It also needs fast lookups.

   which does not sound right, if "losing this" refers to the database.  What
   seems to happen in our environment is that all sieving stops working.  I
   have not tested everything, but right now deliver.db (db3-nosync) is broken
   and my sieve script which has a couple of "if" tests, a "redirect", and a
   "fileinto" now does nothing.

db3_nosync should still maintain a consistent database. The only
difference between db3 and db3_nosync is that db3_nosync, in a crash,
may lose some of the most recent transactions. In either case, the
database will be consistent (as of a certain time) when the server
comes back.

Larry