Cyrus/SASL/LDAP/PAM/FreeBSD

Gardiner Leverett gdl at merit.edu
Tue Oct 15 14:55:05 EDT 2002

I know it seems like a lot, but here's the task I'm working with:

We have a FreeBSD 4.7 machine and we're trying to use
OpenLDAP 2.0.25, cyrus-sasl-2.1.7, and cyrus-imap.2.1.9.  To get
Cyrus to use LDAP for authentication, we need a pam module,
and we're using pam_ldap-1.5.2. (All of this using Postfix as
the MTA.)

After fussing around with the make files so that cyrus-sasl would
actually include the pam library, cyrus still doesn't have the library
on compile, and trying to test the server produces no result.

We successfully got all of these to work together on a Solaris platform
earlier this year, and we've been trying to use that experience as a
reference,
but that hasn't helped either.

When I run the Cyrus master program, this error appears
in the logs:

Oct 15 12:38:48 qvf master[90357]: process started
Oct 15 12:38:48 qvf master[90357]: process 90358 exited, status 75
Oct 15 12:38:48 qvf master[90357]: ready for work

I saw this referenced in the e-mails to the list, but not a clear
solution.  I wondering if this is part of the problem.

Has anyone had this combination of programs to work
together? I'm at a loss as for what to do next.  Trying
to telnet to the imap port produces no result.  The items
are not in inetd.conf (as I did get one of those
imapd:  could not getenv(CCYRUS_SERVICE) errors
in the log as well).

Any help would be appreciated!

Gardiner Leverett				gdl at merit.edu
Merit Network, Inc.				Phone: 734-647-9888
4251 Plymouth Rd., Suite 2000		Ann Arbor, MI  48105-2785
				http://www.merit.edu