cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory

Erik Enge eenge at prium.net
Fri Oct 18 10:36:16 EDT 2002

Erik Enge <eenge at prium.net> writes:

> I'm compiling cyrus-imapd and cyrus-sasl 2.1.9 from source and
> everything has gone fairly good until now.  I don't understand why I
> get this error message:
>
>   Oct 17 18:25:04 localhost imapd[6803]: cannot connect to saslauthd
>   server: No such file or directory
>   Oct 17 18:25:04 localhost imapd[6803]: badlogin: box1.ourdomain
>   [192.168.1.194] plaintext testuser SASL(-1): generic failure: checkpass failed

I have some more information to offer.

If I try to start saslauthd by hand, like this:

  saslauthd -m /var/run/mux -a pam

and then do this:

  echo 1 > /var/run/mux

I get:

  bash: /var/run/mux: No such device or address

Isn't that a bit odd?  Perhaps that is what my error is really about?

I've tried adding all my binaries and libraries in the PATH (I have
--prefix set to a non-standard place) but that didn't seem to help,
either.

If anybody could shed any light on this, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik.