Distributed File Systems

Dave McMurtrie dgm+ at pitt.edu
Mon Oct 21 12:54:17 EDT 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Josh Huber wrote:

> Indeed, does someone have an answer for this question?  Everyone seems
> to be avoiding it :)
>
> Can Cyrus handle storing mailboxes to an AFS drive?

IMAP developers can answer this more clearly if they choose to, but the
first thought that comes to my mind is that I believe cyrus utilizes hard
links in the mail store in some situations (mail copy?).  AFS doesn't
fully support hard links, so if cyrus does require a filesystem that
supports hard links that could be a big problem.

Other issues that aren't necessarily show-stoppers, but would make it
impractical to use AFS for your mail-store:

1. It's not going to be a blazing fast performer if you use AFS for your
mail store.

2. You have to deal with authorizing the cyrus server to write into AFS
filespace, which means you either need to run it authenticated or set up
IP acls on your mail store.

Dave
--
Dave McMurtrie, Systems Programmer