Distributed File Systems

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 21 13:18:58 EDT 2002

   Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:28:41 -0400
   From: Josh Huber <huber+keyword+cyrus.b8df14 at alum.wpi.edu>

   "David Chait" <davidc at bonair.stanford.edu> writes:

   > Both CODA and AFS were developed at CMU, and I would be very
   > interrested in hearing their thoughts as well.

   Indeed, does someone have an answer for this question?  Everyone seems
   to be avoiding it :)

   Can Cyrus handle storing mailboxes to an AFS drive?

No. CMU's previous e-mail system, AMS, leveraged AFS extensively for
storage (and transit) purposes. For various reasons it didn't scale
particularly well and led to CMU's interest in IMAP.

Cyrus was designed to use a local filesystem with Unix semantics and a
working mmap()/write() combination. AFS doesn't provide these
semantics so won't work correctly.

Larry